More in Vermont
We went to Mt. Killington, and instead of hiking the 3000 feet to the summit, we ended up taking a gondola up to the top. Gondola sounds romantic, but it's not. It rocks and makes scary thumping noises, and you can really see the metallic cord tensing right above your head, showing off its flimsy physique. All in all, rather frightening. The good news is, you can put your feet up, like so:
When we got to the top, and looked around... It was enough to knock the wind out of me. I momentarily turned into a cheeseball, and thought of that early 90s easy listening song: "From distance/ the world looks blueeee and greeeen/ bla bla bla/ God is watching uuuuus from a distance." I think the point of the song is that from far away, the troubled and war-ridden planet Earth looks peaceful and beautiful - and I was overtaken by that exact sensation up on top of that mountain. It was almost like the world order reversed: down below, things appeared at a standstill, while up above the normally quiescent clouds raced restelessly towards an unknown somewhere.
We sat on the rocks that jutted out over the rest of the world, dangling our feet over the abyssl, and succumbed to deep thought; deep thought not otherwise specified.
I was also wondering why I don't ski. Then, I saw some mountain bikers careen down double black diamond slopes, and I could just feel the kidney contusion from all the bumping, plus, I suddenly had visions of myself racing down a mountain unable to control my body, and subsequently splattered against a tree. It happened to Sonny Bono! So, yea, we're taking ski lessons over Thanksgiving, because that sounds like FUN!
Anyway.
Finally, as we were driving back, so we could make our final Fenway game of the year, we were musing about rural living and Vermont, and how you need all wheel drive, but that it seems lovely. We then crossed over into New Hampshire, into a town called Claremont. Claremont had similar terrain as Woodstock, but my oh my!!! Dilapidated, deserted, dirty and dead. Funny how same progenitors end up heading in opposite directions.
Comments