Ends of eras

I blinked, and suddenly, the entire month of May disappeared, and I have not written a word for this blog. It seems my creative energies are directed elsewhere. To the same place most of my energies are directed these days - the baby.

So, May is gone, and with it, several things have turned.

For example, I just did my very last weekend call as a fellow. That's it. No mas. All the blood, and the sweat, and the tears...

Also, today I got out one of my old 34D size bras. While hefty by most standards, after two years of unthinkable top-heaviness, I felt so small, almost athletic, basically, flat chested! I was ready to fly, lifted upwards toward the sun by my suddenly light breasts. Well - "suddenly" is, of course, far from accurate, as I have been dwindling my nursing for months, unable to give it up completely. It's because the baby uses me as a human pacifier, and being an attention junkie, and addicted to unconditional adoration, I've been loving it. Except, now it's getting a little creepy, because the critter can actually crawl up to me, get inside my shirt, burrow into my bra, get out the boob, and attach to it sitting up. Next thing, he will be doing it in public. Amusing - yes. Embarrassing - also, yes.

While we're on the topic. Connected to my breasts' shrinkage. An old friend has returned, ending an almost two year drought. Can't say that I missed it. But the funniest thing is that, as always, I totally didn't see it coming. I was holding Munchkin the night before, and I felt this pinching sharp sensation, almost like I did the one time I had the post-partum tears. The next morning, I was in the car, and a Pearl Jam song came on, and I damn near bust out crying. And all the while, I'm thinking, man, WHY am I so emotional?! And then BAM! this is why. I don't understand it. 20 years of menstruation. You'd think I would learn to recognize the signs.

Unrelated topic, but equally significant as the end of an era. Munchkin has two teeth. No more sweet baby milk breath. No more toothless grin. We've got chompers now. By the way - all the more reason to stop nursing, since he occasionally bites.

Anyway. Things do come to an end, I guess, but plus ça change plus c'est pareil...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Little girls grow up

Belated outrage