Stupid limbic system

Mysterious cerebral wiring responsible for so much... Like how 25 years after the fact, when I smell the combination of bad coffee and warm milk, it makes me think of walking into kindergarden (they were always brewing something for breakfast in the cafeteria).
Or for how the other day, I was driving home, and automatically got off on the exit where I used to live, not where I live now, and before realizing where I was basically drove right to my old house, using the same left steering wheel sweep on that almost U turn left turn, .
Or for how certain songs cause an instant spring of tears sometimes...
Or the sound of the On Hold music at my hospital makes me viscerally sick because it reminds me of being on hold in the middle of the night.
It is so weird. Stupid limbic system. Alters my mood and is completely not subject to my control.
Comments