Corridor is the new avenue
When we first moved in to this apartment (a suburban apartment, all the disadvantages and none of the advantages), the building was a brand new construction and more than half empty. We barely saw any neighbors, and the ones we did see were just as expected, young childless couples, or professionals as roommates, or single young men.
Now, suddenly, the place is teeming with inhabitants, and they are sometimes just completely incongruous with the setting. When I run into them, I always think, who are they visiting?
For example, there is a pair of siblings of high school age who ride up to the 5th floor in the elevator. I can't imagine a family with two kids of high school age living in the suburbs in an apartment building like ours. If they live in an apartment, it's in the city; if they live in the suburbs, it's in a house! This is America!
I immediately made up a story: they're here to visit a divorced dad who shares custody. Or, their family lost their home to foreclosure, and now they live in an apartment. (the last one doesn't fit: our building is expensive)
Also, there is a car, a ginormous silver Hummer, whose license plate says "P-diddy." I sincerely doubt that Mr. Diddy lives in my building, but apparently, his #1 fan does. He or she is elusive, never been sighted.
Today, I was in my own little world coming from the gym (for once), and in the lobby was a little girl, around 8 years old, who, having set up a little stand, and put up a little hand written sign , was selling girlscout cookies in her pajamas (GIRLD SCOUT COOKIES: want some?).
What's going on here! Is my building the new neighborhood? When's the ice cream truck gonna roll through the halls?
Now, suddenly, the place is teeming with inhabitants, and they are sometimes just completely incongruous with the setting. When I run into them, I always think, who are they visiting?
For example, there is a pair of siblings of high school age who ride up to the 5th floor in the elevator. I can't imagine a family with two kids of high school age living in the suburbs in an apartment building like ours. If they live in an apartment, it's in the city; if they live in the suburbs, it's in a house! This is America!
I immediately made up a story: they're here to visit a divorced dad who shares custody. Or, their family lost their home to foreclosure, and now they live in an apartment. (the last one doesn't fit: our building is expensive)
Also, there is a car, a ginormous silver Hummer, whose license plate says "P-diddy." I sincerely doubt that Mr. Diddy lives in my building, but apparently, his #1 fan does. He or she is elusive, never been sighted.
Today, I was in my own little world coming from the gym (for once), and in the lobby was a little girl, around 8 years old, who, having set up a little stand, and put up a little hand written sign , was selling girlscout cookies in her pajamas (GIRLD SCOUT COOKIES: want some?).
What's going on here! Is my building the new neighborhood? When's the ice cream truck gonna roll through the halls?
Comments