Graduation goggles not
How I Met Your Mother is actually a great show. It's funny because technically, the guys on that show are older than Friends were when they started, and yet, when I watch Friends, I still see them as sophisticated grownups living in New York, and when I watch How I Met Your Mother, I totally relate and see them as peers... Frames of reference change, I suppose.
The thing common to both (other than the whole young singles/couples living in NYC and hanging out at the same watering hole day after day thing) is that they have great quotables. My Gmail status has said "Miss Chnandler Bong" on it for a week, and I consistently repeat to myself: "You've been Bamboozled! You're gonna be a terrible mother!!"
How I Met Your Mother had a great quotable concept last week: "The Graduation Goggles."
That's like when you hate summer camp (or high school, an example used in the show), you wish for the entire 8 weeks that you could just go home, but that last week, with the camping trip, and the co-ed dance... suddenly, it's nothing but fun memories...
SO, I think I was starting to get Graduation Goggles about my place of employment over the last few months. No one has really been bothering me, my confidence may or may not be improving somewhat, and I actually found myself thinking that I might miss the playful banter of the dictation room, my co-fellows, and especially, the ability to ask senior faculty for advice. I was even starting to feel all warm and fuzzy inside, much to my own dismay.
Ah, but not for long!
My friend and fellow female called me in tears, hysterical, on Friday, and through sobs told me that she got absolutely reamed by an attending, one with whom I have had issues as well, in my time of issues.
She was absent for two hours for a medical test, and I had her pager to cover, but on her instructions, gave it to her medical student when I went to do a case. When she got back, she was told that having a student hold her pager for a half hour was unacceptable. That she was irresponsible. That all along, she has been constantly trying to avoid doing work. That said attending was not the only one who was of that opinion. [This is verbatim what he told me once] That she has been giving interns a hard time over the phone when they call for consults. That he has known and noticed that she shirks responsibility since the beginning [a year and a half ago], but has not said anything because he is such a tolerant person. She said she was speechless, that she apologized for the lapse in judgement on the pager situation, but that he kept going and going, like a snowball down a hill berating her with a flat affect... She said that he was an attending she always relied on and felt comfortable with, and that she cannot get over the shock.
Did I mention, that this girl didn't see her child for the first year of his life because she was enslaved in this fellowship?? This particular attending likes to talk about when HE was a fellow, HE'D spend weekends living at the hospital when he was on call, and when HE was a fellow, HIS day started at 6 am.... Well. Excuse me if our priorities are somewhat different, and we aren't dying to do extra credit anymore these days...
My friend is a canine person, like me. She sees herself through the eyes of others. But unlike me, she doesn't cut corners, is diligent and constructive. She was chief. What he said couldn't be further from the truth. As a result of her nature, and his harshness, she was shattered. And I was having extraordinarily painful dejavu.
In addition, this weekend, I tried and tried to reach an attending who was supposed to be on call, to discuss a potential case, and when he finally got in touch with me, it somehow became my fault that he was unavailable during the time he was supposed to be on call. MY fault.
So there you go. The graduation goggles are cracked and on the floor. I probably needed that painful reminder.
The thing common to both (other than the whole young singles/couples living in NYC and hanging out at the same watering hole day after day thing) is that they have great quotables. My Gmail status has said "Miss Chnandler Bong" on it for a week, and I consistently repeat to myself: "You've been Bamboozled! You're gonna be a terrible mother!!"
How I Met Your Mother had a great quotable concept last week: "The Graduation Goggles."
That's like when you hate summer camp (or high school, an example used in the show), you wish for the entire 8 weeks that you could just go home, but that last week, with the camping trip, and the co-ed dance... suddenly, it's nothing but fun memories...
SO, I think I was starting to get Graduation Goggles about my place of employment over the last few months. No one has really been bothering me, my confidence may or may not be improving somewhat, and I actually found myself thinking that I might miss the playful banter of the dictation room, my co-fellows, and especially, the ability to ask senior faculty for advice. I was even starting to feel all warm and fuzzy inside, much to my own dismay.
Ah, but not for long!
My friend and fellow female called me in tears, hysterical, on Friday, and through sobs told me that she got absolutely reamed by an attending, one with whom I have had issues as well, in my time of issues.
She was absent for two hours for a medical test, and I had her pager to cover, but on her instructions, gave it to her medical student when I went to do a case. When she got back, she was told that having a student hold her pager for a half hour was unacceptable. That she was irresponsible. That all along, she has been constantly trying to avoid doing work. That said attending was not the only one who was of that opinion. [This is verbatim what he told me once] That she has been giving interns a hard time over the phone when they call for consults. That he has known and noticed that she shirks responsibility since the beginning [a year and a half ago], but has not said anything because he is such a tolerant person. She said she was speechless, that she apologized for the lapse in judgement on the pager situation, but that he kept going and going, like a snowball down a hill berating her with a flat affect... She said that he was an attending she always relied on and felt comfortable with, and that she cannot get over the shock.
Did I mention, that this girl didn't see her child for the first year of his life because she was enslaved in this fellowship?? This particular attending likes to talk about when HE was a fellow, HE'D spend weekends living at the hospital when he was on call, and when HE was a fellow, HIS day started at 6 am.... Well. Excuse me if our priorities are somewhat different, and we aren't dying to do extra credit anymore these days...
My friend is a canine person, like me. She sees herself through the eyes of others. But unlike me, she doesn't cut corners, is diligent and constructive. She was chief. What he said couldn't be further from the truth. As a result of her nature, and his harshness, she was shattered. And I was having extraordinarily painful dejavu.
In addition, this weekend, I tried and tried to reach an attending who was supposed to be on call, to discuss a potential case, and when he finally got in touch with me, it somehow became my fault that he was unavailable during the time he was supposed to be on call. MY fault.
So there you go. The graduation goggles are cracked and on the floor. I probably needed that painful reminder.
Comments