Waterboards
Ignore the above "pun" as the ramblings of a very tired test-taker who has had it with the very word "boards." What I was trying to convey by using such a terrible play on words is that taking the GI boards was torture. However, it is over - for now.
I walked out of that indescript building on Devonshire Street thinking, okay, THIS is when they all will surely find out that I have been faking it all along. As I posted on FB for all to see: for 40% of the questions, all the answers looked right. 40% none of them looked right; 5% were about nutrition - and anything with the word "selenium" in it was taking a hit for the team. For the last 15%, I just simply had no clue and picked "a."
The next day, when I rejoined reality, I had some crazy amount of patients to see, and faked them ALL out by getting it done.
It was the same building where I took the medicine boards a mere 4 years earlier. Has it really been 4 years? That's a really long time, and yet, it seems like it just happened. Another trite truism, but it's so true!
It was a really odd feeling for me. The carpeted waiting room, the large number tag. The palm vein pattern scan... Wait, what?? Last time, was just a finger print and a photo. I guess it HAS been 4 years, and technology has advanced. I'm waiting for a Minority Report retinal scan to hit the streets, just to make absolute sure that my smarter friend isn't taking this test for me. But yea - the cubicles lining the walls. The fluorescent light. The dry erase notebook they hand out. It was all happening all over again.
During the medicine boards, however, I distinctly remember that I left the building to go have lunch, and there was nowhere to have it, so I ran across the street to Starbucks for my then favorite melted mozzarella sandwich. This time though, there seemed to be a ton of places. I don't think they sprouted up over the last 4 years - maybe, now that I live in the woods, I just notice more places?
I went to Viga - this was definitely a new addition, because as far as I know, the only Viga was in the old RISE night club building on Stuart Street. There was an Aqua Di Gio overload as the yankees were leaving their offices and cubicles to have lunch. And everyone seemed to look just like me and my pals. Did I join the grown up race?? Or is it that the mid 20- mid 30 crowd can only afford Viga these days, and the grownups eat elsewhere?
Boston had an eery air about it. It was overcast, and echoes bounced off the tall buildings making it seem like everyone was in a little fishbowl, or a toy town.
I walked to DSW afterwards, breathing in the air smoggy. I forgot the smell of Downtown: a hint of ocean, roasted peanuts, mixed perfume wafting from Macy's, cigarette smoke, tempura as you cruise past Chinatown, and urine from the alleys as you near Downtown Crossing.
I examined tens of shoes at DSW, and instead, bought a pair of boots at Macy's. Subsequently, I decided the platform stilettos were not appropriate for work, and exchanged them for a more boring more expensive pair of boots from Macy's.
I also drove past this house I saw on Zillow around the corner from our daycare. I thought, why are all the houses on this street so close together?
...
I walked out of that indescript building on Devonshire Street thinking, okay, THIS is when they all will surely find out that I have been faking it all along. As I posted on FB for all to see: for 40% of the questions, all the answers looked right. 40% none of them looked right; 5% were about nutrition - and anything with the word "selenium" in it was taking a hit for the team. For the last 15%, I just simply had no clue and picked "a."
The next day, when I rejoined reality, I had some crazy amount of patients to see, and faked them ALL out by getting it done.
It was the same building where I took the medicine boards a mere 4 years earlier. Has it really been 4 years? That's a really long time, and yet, it seems like it just happened. Another trite truism, but it's so true!
It was a really odd feeling for me. The carpeted waiting room, the large number tag. The palm vein pattern scan... Wait, what?? Last time, was just a finger print and a photo. I guess it HAS been 4 years, and technology has advanced. I'm waiting for a Minority Report retinal scan to hit the streets, just to make absolute sure that my smarter friend isn't taking this test for me. But yea - the cubicles lining the walls. The fluorescent light. The dry erase notebook they hand out. It was all happening all over again.
During the medicine boards, however, I distinctly remember that I left the building to go have lunch, and there was nowhere to have it, so I ran across the street to Starbucks for my then favorite melted mozzarella sandwich. This time though, there seemed to be a ton of places. I don't think they sprouted up over the last 4 years - maybe, now that I live in the woods, I just notice more places?
I went to Viga - this was definitely a new addition, because as far as I know, the only Viga was in the old RISE night club building on Stuart Street. There was an Aqua Di Gio overload as the yankees were leaving their offices and cubicles to have lunch. And everyone seemed to look just like me and my pals. Did I join the grown up race?? Or is it that the mid 20- mid 30 crowd can only afford Viga these days, and the grownups eat elsewhere?
Boston had an eery air about it. It was overcast, and echoes bounced off the tall buildings making it seem like everyone was in a little fishbowl, or a toy town.
I walked to DSW afterwards, breathing in the air smoggy. I forgot the smell of Downtown: a hint of ocean, roasted peanuts, mixed perfume wafting from Macy's, cigarette smoke, tempura as you cruise past Chinatown, and urine from the alleys as you near Downtown Crossing.
I examined tens of shoes at DSW, and instead, bought a pair of boots at Macy's. Subsequently, I decided the platform stilettos were not appropriate for work, and exchanged them for a more boring more expensive pair of boots from Macy's.
I also drove past this house I saw on Zillow around the corner from our daycare. I thought, why are all the houses on this street so close together?
...
Comments