Worse worst week

Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse, it did.

I had my first car accident in 13 years.

It was so ironic: I left my house, I was driving along, people were behaving ridiculously, zipping side to side, going nutty trying to pass each other, and I thought, Jesus, people can't drive today at all, or what?

About 3 miles later, some guy tried to cut me off, and I punched the horn, and swerved to the left to avoid him, then in a split seconed realized I was about to hit the guardrail, so swerved to the right, and suddenly found myself skidding all the way to the other side of route 9. It was cartoonish. I turned the wheel the other way trying to get control of the car, and again, suddenly found myself doing 360's across route 9, over the curb with the snowbank, and backwards into the woods, finally coming to a stop when wedged between 2 trees.

It's crazy. You come to this realization, that you're about to have an accident, and you know you're about to, but you're hoping you won't. I thought, this is how people really get hurt, and pictured myself with a bleeding face. Then, as I was going over snow and branches, I thought, oh, it's just snow and branches, maybe I won't hit anything after all... And then, after hearing that awful dull sound of your car smashing against something, I thought, I'm ok. How the fuck am I supposed drive out of these woods?

The fucker who cut me off also spun out a bit, but came to a stop on the side of the road. He steered forward, and drove off. And NO ONE stopped!! I could have been dead, my car wrapped around a tree (thank god for the tree, btw, because just beyond the patch of woods was a not-so-frozen lake).

One woman, on the other side of route 9, stopped her car, and ran across to ask if I was ok. She was a nurse. She asked if I called the police yet. Oh, the police, I thought. They will help me get my car out of these woods. In the back of my mind, I had a flash of driver's ed class in high school: You're obligated to call the police if there are any injuries or if there is damage greater than xxx dollars. " $1,000? OR $10,000?

Actually, the first person I called was my husband. The day before, I called him from the road and said, "I have a problem." (the problem was that I ran out of washer fluid and didn't know how to replace it) He said, "You had an accident!!" and I laughed:" no, god no!" More irony.

The second person I called was my boss. Thinking about it, once I realized I was ok, I thought, oh great, more trouble from the Bad Fellow. I gotta make it to work... So I went, to everyone's amazement. They actually sent me home. I took a 2.5 hour nap.

I heard the accident was on the news.

I just can't believe it I'm ok. Not even whiplash.

So, the question is, am I jinxed with all these unpleasantries happening to me in the last few weeks, culminating with this nasty accident, or is someone looking out for me in that I was incredibly lucky?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Little girls grow up

Belated outrage