Mental filing revisited

In my never-ending quest to compartmentalize and label, via lengthy discussions with my philosophizing mom, I came up with another way to explain why people can be the way they can be. This time the clever metaphor will take us into the animal kingdom.

There are feline people and canine people - and this doesn't refer to which animal they like best, rather how they relate to others.

The feline person "walks by himself", does not mind other people, and even needs them at times, but they do not affect decisionmaking or self worth. The cat person does what he thinks is best, and doesn't give the matter a second thought.

The canine person, on the other hand, needs other people all the time. He is exquisitely in tune to others, noticing what they need, is loyal, and seeks approval of others, which influences decision making AND self worth.

I am SO a canine. I WISH I could be more feline, but it's not in my genes.

BTW, yes, I'm referring to Rudyard Kipling, a story that was standard curriculum for grade school children. I suppose other people recognize the feline and canine predilections too, but I'm the genius that put it in writing. Unless, of course, Nietzche, or John Locke, or Goethe already wrote it, and in my infinite ignorance, I just didn't know, and am coming up with truisms that have been obvious to the world for eons but are novel for me. Either way, it's a cool idea.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Little girls grow up

Belated outrage