Back to school day
The day started out just like any other: wake up begrudgingly, make coffee, read the news, hop in the car, peel out of the garage and onward about 15 miles over the speed limit...
Minus that last part: I got stuck behind a solid convoy of yellow school buses. Then, it dawned on me, that it was the first day of school in my town. So, since it was "illegal to pass while lights are flashing," I ended up having some time to think - mostly about school and first day at school.
In Russia, the first day of school is always on September 1st (the last day is always May 31st), and it is a huge celebration, especially for the first graders, who are commemorating their first day of school ever. The day even has a slogan: "Perviy raz v perviy klass." (First day, first grade). We wore uniforms in those days, which were just awful: a dark brown wool dress, and black wool apron over it. Everyone had 2 of them, you'd wear it for a week or two, then wash it, wear the other one for a week or two. I can't even imagine what those dresses looked like, especially in the upper classes, when girls were hitting puberty, growing breasts, making sweat and pheromones...
On September 1st, everyone wore their special day uniforms - white aprons for girls, and the obligatory white bows in their hair - and carried flowers. Parents took pictures, and some cried. There was usually a big parade - the rest of the school would watch and applaud when the first graders walked into the school for the first time.
For me, it was the day I met the girl who was going to be my best friend from 1st - 4th grade. She zipped my backpack closed when it was accidentally open, and a bond was made! It was one of the bestest days of life so far, seriously.
I googled "first day of school, Russia" and found a whole bunch of pictures of various first days dated with various years, and they all look exactly the same:

This one is from google, dated 1982. Some girl. Could have been anybody! They all look the same!

This one is in color, and the uniforms look different, so it must be from the 1990s or 2000's. The bows and flowers are there, though.

And this is first day of school at MY school, MY year! I'm not any of those girls, but I know who they are! :)
It's sort of heartwarming to know that some traditions traverse time and politics. Such a memorable occasion, like a sacrament, almost...
Minus that last part: I got stuck behind a solid convoy of yellow school buses. Then, it dawned on me, that it was the first day of school in my town. So, since it was "illegal to pass while lights are flashing," I ended up having some time to think - mostly about school and first day at school.
In Russia, the first day of school is always on September 1st (the last day is always May 31st), and it is a huge celebration, especially for the first graders, who are commemorating their first day of school ever. The day even has a slogan: "Perviy raz v perviy klass." (First day, first grade). We wore uniforms in those days, which were just awful: a dark brown wool dress, and black wool apron over it. Everyone had 2 of them, you'd wear it for a week or two, then wash it, wear the other one for a week or two. I can't even imagine what those dresses looked like, especially in the upper classes, when girls were hitting puberty, growing breasts, making sweat and pheromones...
On September 1st, everyone wore their special day uniforms - white aprons for girls, and the obligatory white bows in their hair - and carried flowers. Parents took pictures, and some cried. There was usually a big parade - the rest of the school would watch and applaud when the first graders walked into the school for the first time.
For me, it was the day I met the girl who was going to be my best friend from 1st - 4th grade. She zipped my backpack closed when it was accidentally open, and a bond was made! It was one of the bestest days of life so far, seriously.
I googled "first day of school, Russia" and found a whole bunch of pictures of various first days dated with various years, and they all look exactly the same:

This one is from google, dated 1982. Some girl. Could have been anybody! They all look the same!

This one is in color, and the uniforms look different, so it must be from the 1990s or 2000's. The bows and flowers are there, though.

And this is first day of school at MY school, MY year! I'm not any of those girls, but I know who they are! :)
It's sort of heartwarming to know that some traditions traverse time and politics. Such a memorable occasion, like a sacrament, almost...
Comments