I become the crazy Aunt


I came to this realization when my little nephew, 3 years of age, categorically refused to give me a kiss. At first, it was cute: he was shy, and he didn't remember me from Christmas when he was just 1. He would not come close to me, hiding behind his mother. What added insult to injury was that he came to give his uncle, my husband, a kiss without a problem. My husband is tall and scary, and I'm so.... not! so what the hell! His parents first urged him, than begged him, the ordered him: "Kiss your aunt Sasha! Give Aunt Sasha a kiss! Give Aunt Sasha a kiss!"

So, I was sad and offended, well, as much as one can be offended by a three-year-old. But then, I put myself in the kid's shoes. I distinctly remembered having a deaf aunt Tanya, who'd come over and I'd be called in to duty: "Give aunt a kiss!" She had an unbelievably wrinkly face, and questionable teeth, and a hearing aid. Everyone would be watching. It was awful.

I completely empathized. I tried to smooth things over by giving him a kiss myself, which he begrudgingly allowed, but that didn't satisfy the parenting process.

Finally, by the end of day two, under the unthinkable threat of not receiving his gift from the USA, and after being demonstratively escorted out of the hotel suite where the rest of us were having fun looking at presents, he conceded and planted a wet teary one somewhere between my cheek and my ear.

So, I'm the aunt that no one wants to kiss.

What's the deal anyway? Why do kids have to kiss anyone? What if the kissee smells? What if *I* smell and that's why he didn't want to kiss me?! What if no kid ever wants to kiss me?!!!

This is a whole new can of worms to worry about.

Comments

Unknown said…
You forgot to mentino that your 6 year old niece ADORES you!!!!
yana V. said…
at least they leave you alone.. there's probably nothing worst then someone else's children giving you attention and wanting to play with you. You don't want to be an ass (cause you know, they are kids and they're supposed to be cute and stuff, and you're not supposed to want them to leave you alone and not bother you) so you put on a brave face and try to play with them. but i think i'd rather trade their overwhelming attention for a little bit of piece and quite. Imagine walking into the house and before you have a chance to take your coat off you have two 5 year olds and one 3 year old doing karavay around you not letting you pass when all you want to do is pee, have a glass of wine, and eat cause you're starving, and there is no get out of jail free card so all you're left with is trying to give the parents of the children a pleading look and hope that they feel enough pity for you that they'll coerce their off springs to let you sit down for a bit.

sigh.. it's a tough knock life..
SR said…
Wow, Yana, tell us how you really feel!! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Little girls grow up

Belated outrage