Obstetrics on the brain
I'm practicing saying the phrase: I'm struggling with infertility. That's what all the blogs and articles use to describe this, so I should get used to it too. I don't know if I'm actually "struggling," and I certainly don't even believe that I have "infertility," but I can't deny the fact that I've already seen the doctor, took drugs, and underwent a procedure - that didn't work.
ANYWAY.
Maybe because of that, my mind is occupied by various aspects of maternity, pregnancy, childbirth, and obstetrics in general. I'm an anxious person; things that aren't right drive me crazy, and I just cannot afford to be more crazy, so I usually try to live in my little bubble without having it burst by the recession, increasing insurance premiums, my huge debt, teenagers getting shot across the street or what have you. But the general paradigm of how pregnancy and childbirth are regarded has managed to really crawl under my skin.
There are oh so many tasty tidbits. I have limited time and space and patience, so, just a few.
First of all, let's start with the whole pathetic 12 weeks of unpaid leave. They let you go, but they won't pay you; they guarantee they won't fire you, but they're allowed to "move you to a comparable position."
Now, motherhood is highly encouraged, and even imposed by society. It's the woman's role. In fact, even the most successful woman, who is childless, is arguably secretly looked upon as "incomplete." People don't admit they think that, but it's true. However, despite the pressures, motherhood is not supported at all whatsoever within the social structure. Plus, there is a guilt complex about the woman who works, and allows other people to raise her children. I could write a separate essay on the motherhood guilt, and the supposed true purpose of a woman in this life, but it would take too long.
Suffice it to say, begging for time off to go to the doctor, and witnessing a 9 month pregnant woman forced to work on the wards has embittered me that much more.
Secondly, the most recent thing that has been driving me absolutely crazy, is this whole fad of "natural birthing." IE giving birth at home, with a midwife, a doula, a bathtub and some towels. The idea is, hospitals, pain medications, monitors, none of that stuff is "natural." And childbirth is "natural," and should be carried out "naturally" without interventions from pesky western medical professionals.
You know what else is natural? Cancer. Chemo is deadly and so manmade. Infections are certainly natural. Why disturb a complex echosystem with antibiotics. Erectile dysfunction, god-given. Not a disease, a condition. For which there are 3 covered medications.
You know what else is natural? Cavities. Pulling teeth at home with pliers is natural, using pain medications is an invasion and a sign of weakness.
You know what else is natural? Getting old and dying, so why do I have a whole ICU full of people trying to die of natural (yes, natural) causes, but we will not let them because the family and culture of "give me more" will not allow it??
Hello, people!! Back when childbirth was done "naturally," close to half the women used to DIE! In some places, they still do!
Finally, I'd like to direct you to this article.
So, now maternity care costs too much. Money grubbing OB's are killing babies and bragging about saving them later. I don't even know what to say. I welcome your comments.
On a side note, if maternity care costs too much, then why all the opposition to birth control and abortion? It would really bring down costs... abortions are cheap.... sarcasm meter: -----------
ANYWAY.
Maybe because of that, my mind is occupied by various aspects of maternity, pregnancy, childbirth, and obstetrics in general. I'm an anxious person; things that aren't right drive me crazy, and I just cannot afford to be more crazy, so I usually try to live in my little bubble without having it burst by the recession, increasing insurance premiums, my huge debt, teenagers getting shot across the street or what have you. But the general paradigm of how pregnancy and childbirth are regarded has managed to really crawl under my skin.
There are oh so many tasty tidbits. I have limited time and space and patience, so, just a few.
First of all, let's start with the whole pathetic 12 weeks of unpaid leave. They let you go, but they won't pay you; they guarantee they won't fire you, but they're allowed to "move you to a comparable position."
Now, motherhood is highly encouraged, and even imposed by society. It's the woman's role. In fact, even the most successful woman, who is childless, is arguably secretly looked upon as "incomplete." People don't admit they think that, but it's true. However, despite the pressures, motherhood is not supported at all whatsoever within the social structure. Plus, there is a guilt complex about the woman who works, and allows other people to raise her children. I could write a separate essay on the motherhood guilt, and the supposed true purpose of a woman in this life, but it would take too long.
Suffice it to say, begging for time off to go to the doctor, and witnessing a 9 month pregnant woman forced to work on the wards has embittered me that much more.
Secondly, the most recent thing that has been driving me absolutely crazy, is this whole fad of "natural birthing." IE giving birth at home, with a midwife, a doula, a bathtub and some towels. The idea is, hospitals, pain medications, monitors, none of that stuff is "natural." And childbirth is "natural," and should be carried out "naturally" without interventions from pesky western medical professionals.
You know what else is natural? Cancer. Chemo is deadly and so manmade. Infections are certainly natural. Why disturb a complex echosystem with antibiotics. Erectile dysfunction, god-given. Not a disease, a condition. For which there are 3 covered medications.
You know what else is natural? Cavities. Pulling teeth at home with pliers is natural, using pain medications is an invasion and a sign of weakness.
You know what else is natural? Getting old and dying, so why do I have a whole ICU full of people trying to die of natural (yes, natural) causes, but we will not let them because the family and culture of "give me more" will not allow it??
Hello, people!! Back when childbirth was done "naturally," close to half the women used to DIE! In some places, they still do!
Finally, I'd like to direct you to this article.
So, now maternity care costs too much. Money grubbing OB's are killing babies and bragging about saving them later. I don't even know what to say. I welcome your comments.
On a side note, if maternity care costs too much, then why all the oppos
Publish Post
Comments