Say it with a song
It's because I got the iPhone, and I can Shazam and buy songs on the spot! Suddenly, I'm all about discography and lyrics and artist bios of bands and songs that have been around for ever, and I never thought twice about them. I get into things very quickly, and then try to stop me, I'm like a goddamned run away train (pardon the pun, Soul Asylum).
Take Song 2 by Blur. Released when? I may have still been a teenager. When grunge was grunge and men were men. Actually, I think this is just after the grunge era. The song is very well known, and according to Wiki, their most recognizable in the US. And yes, I used to drive with BCN blaring (RIP, dear old friend), and yell out "WOOO - HOO!" along with the music, and yes, it's been played and played, but only the other day, did I put that funky iPhone right up to the car speaker and Shazam the darned song and find out who wrote it and try to figure out why they did. Let me just confess, Shazam has migrated from the last page to the home page on my iPhone screen in only a matter of a few short days.
In my opinion, it's a great song for many reasons. First and not least, it short and sweet and to the point, only 2 minutes 2 seconds. (hence the name? In addition to its order on the album, I mean) I like how it just ends with a chord. Kind of like, message transmitted! done!
Secondly, it has proudly joined the ranks of songs I call "angry," ie great for listening when feelnig aggressive or frustrated or even happy in that angry-happy kind of way. It's got that perfect rhythm and percussion that lends itself to some subtle headbanging while driving, not to mention the "woo hoo's." I'm into that. Plus, I like it when he says,"No" in that sexy British accent. And they're cute. Apparently, I'm a sucker for that goyish saxon thing.
Finally, the words. For me, it's always all about the words. (of course, I went on some song meaning websites and the teenie bopsies got me all confused about how this is a parody of the pixies, but I don't care)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JATWwU3Aa-4 (can't embed)
Alright, well, to me, this is about a guy or girl who is getting a major reality check. So, something huge and heavy and horribe (the 3 H's of reality checking, I guess), ie the jumbo jet, had to take place for said reality check to happen. And when shit hits the fan, when you're pissed, when who the fuck knows what's gonna happen next (that's the heavy metal, and pins and needles), the easiest thing is to pretend nothing is happening. All is cool and easy, nice to meet you. My head is down, it's not my problem...
But on the inside, shit is still hitting the fan. Can't stop shit from hitting that fan. And he's saying, why am I doing this...
For some reason, I feel like this about rejection and masochistic shenanigans that take place in certain relationships, when one party is more involved than another.
Great singable, moshable, head-bangable, and I don't care what them whippersnappers say about it on Songmeanings.com.
Other songs that I use when I'm angry include but aren't limited to:
Self Esteem, Offspring
Closer, Nine Inch Nails
Seven Nation Army, The White Stripes
Cubicle, Rhinocerose
Take Song 2 by Blur. Released when? I may have still been a teenager. When grunge was grunge and men were men. Actually, I think this is just after the grunge era. The song is very well known, and according to Wiki, their most recognizable in the US. And yes, I used to drive with BCN blaring (RIP, dear old friend), and yell out "WOOO - HOO!" along with the music, and yes, it's been played and played, but only the other day, did I put that funky iPhone right up to the car speaker and Shazam the darned song and find out who wrote it and try to figure out why they did. Let me just confess, Shazam has migrated from the last page to the home page on my iPhone screen in only a matter of a few short days.
In my opinion, it's a great song for many reasons. First and not least, it short and sweet and to the point, only 2 minutes 2 seconds. (hence the name? In addition to its order on the album, I mean) I like how it just ends with a chord. Kind of like, message transmitted! done!
Secondly, it has proudly joined the ranks of songs I call "angry," ie great for listening when feelnig aggressive or frustrated or even happy in that angry-happy kind of way. It's got that perfect rhythm and percussion that lends itself to some subtle headbanging while driving, not to mention the "woo hoo's." I'm into that. Plus, I like it when he says,"No" in that sexy British accent. And they're cute. Apparently, I'm a sucker for that goyish saxon thing.
Finally, the words. For me, it's always all about the words. (of course, I went on some song meaning websites and the teenie bopsies got me all confused about how this is a parody of the pixies, but I don't care)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JATWwU3Aa-4 (can't embed)
I got my head checked
By a jumbo jet
It wasn't easy
But nothing is, no
When I feel heavy metal
And I'm pins and I'm needles
Well I lie and I'm easy
All of the time but I'm never sure why I need you
Pleased to meet you
I got my head down
When I was young
It's not my problem
It's not my problem
When I feel heavy metal
And I'm pins and I'm needles
Well I lie and I'm easy
All of the time but I'm never sure why I need you
Pleased to meet you
Yeah, yeah
Yeah, yeah
Yeah, yeah
Oh, yeah
Alright, well, to me, this is about a guy or girl who is getting a major reality check. So, something huge and heavy and horribe (the 3 H's of reality checking, I guess), ie the jumbo jet, had to take place for said reality check to happen. And when shit hits the fan, when you're pissed, when who the fuck knows what's gonna happen next (that's the heavy metal, and pins and needles), the easiest thing is to pretend nothing is happening. All is cool and easy, nice to meet you. My head is down, it's not my problem...
But on the inside, shit is still hitting the fan. Can't stop shit from hitting that fan. And he's saying, why am I doing this...
For some reason, I feel like this about rejection and masochistic shenanigans that take place in certain relationships, when one party is more involved than another.
Great singable, moshable, head-bangable, and I don't care what them whippersnappers say about it on Songmeanings.com.
Other songs that I use when I'm angry include but aren't limited to:
Self Esteem, Offspring
Closer, Nine Inch Nails
Seven Nation Army, The White Stripes
Cubicle, Rhinocerose
Comments