Late nite fun
It's late and I'm saying to myself, why aren't you going home?
But I couldn't leave before jotting down how great my patients were today...
I may have been here twice as long as I needed to just because they were so cute.
One gentleman, 77 years of age, was surrounded by ladies when I walked in. He made a sweeping gesture around the room and said, "These are the Mrs's." Someone had noted in his chart he had a "much younger wife," so I wasn't sure which lady was the actual Mrs, but I don't judge, I just said, "Are you a polygamist, then?" He didn't bat an eyelash. "SUuure! What are you doing on Saturday?" Now, we're talking, a guy with a fake valve, fake hip, fake teeth an aneurysm in his belly, and a high fever. Now that's spunk!
The other gentleman, 83 years of age, told me he wasn't feeling that hot - I should think not, witha hemoglobin of 6! During the social history part of the interview, he said he lives with his wife, and she's 87, and he takes care of her. I said, "Oh, you married an older woman, I see..." To which he replied, "No way, she married me! I used to be a standup comic, " he added. When I told him I think he's got an ulcer, he looked at me with a straight face and said, "You must have gone to school for this." um, so says my debt, mister.
Love it.
Add to that the old school somewhat crusty orthopedic surgeon with Norman Rockwell hair and bow tie who, despite the fact that I introduced myself several times: "I'm DR. R, the hospitalist," insisted on calling me "Miss" and gently guiding me out of the room by placing his hand on my lower back - he finally realized who I was, and his tone changed entirely, it's pretty impressive - made for quite a night.
But I couldn't leave before jotting down how great my patients were today...
I may have been here twice as long as I needed to just because they were so cute.
One gentleman, 77 years of age, was surrounded by ladies when I walked in. He made a sweeping gesture around the room and said, "These are the Mrs's." Someone had noted in his chart he had a "much younger wife," so I wasn't sure which lady was the actual Mrs, but I don't judge, I just said, "Are you a polygamist, then?" He didn't bat an eyelash. "SUuure! What are you doing on Saturday?" Now, we're talking, a guy with a fake valve, fake hip, fake teeth an aneurysm in his belly, and a high fever. Now that's spunk!
The other gentleman, 83 years of age, told me he wasn't feeling that hot - I should think not, witha hemoglobin of 6! During the social history part of the interview, he said he lives with his wife, and she's 87, and he takes care of her. I said, "Oh, you married an older woman, I see..." To which he replied, "No way, she married me! I used to be a standup comic, " he added. When I told him I think he's got an ulcer, he looked at me with a straight face and said, "You must have gone to school for this." um, so says my debt, mister.
Love it.
Add to that the old school somewhat crusty orthopedic surgeon with Norman Rockwell hair and bow tie who, despite the fact that I introduced myself several times: "I'm DR. R, the hospitalist," insisted on calling me "Miss" and gently guiding me out of the room by placing his hand on my lower back - he finally realized who I was, and his tone changed entirely, it's pretty impressive - made for quite a night.

Now if I could just get some sleep. Someone turn this hellish beeping attachment off. Detach it from my hip and throw it into the East River.
Good night.
Comments