I wish I were engulfed in flames...

My friend Deepa is so cool! Last year she met David Sedaris and he laughed at her dirty humor!!

Imagine my excitement when she rang me and suggested I go with her to this year's series - I'd appreciate it more than her husband - and it would be the first time we'd see each other in 5 months! (Goddamned suburbs) I was coming up with witty things to say all day.

XXXXX!!!

Fail!!!

We went up smiling stupidly like little girls about to ask a boy out, and couldn't think of anything better to say than "It was just my birthday." He said, "And how old did you turn?" And we made it a million times worse by answering "How old do you think?" Ugh. Lame-o. We didn't interest Mr Sedaris in the least, not even for 20 seconds. He was so done with us. He signed our books, and even before he was finished he was already looking towards the snaking line for the next [hopefully] more interesting fan.

To add insult to injury, when told that I was now 30, he said he would have guessed it. @!O#*&($#?!



Although I did get a small shampoo bottle he stole from his hotel as a reward for sitting through his lecture, so SCORE!

Comments

Deepa said…
ugh - i am STILL mortified. we will redeem outselves next year!
Kiwi said…
I love being able to read both of your sides of this. :P

PS, I LOVE the way the blog looks!

Popular posts from this blog

Little girls grow up

Belated outrage