Dominant You-genes
This here is probably the only picture I have of all three of us together. This is circa 1999, little bro is recently born, I'm 20, and sister is 13. I don't know if you can tell, but we all happen to have identical noses, eyes, and mouths (although my sister's eyes are blue-green). It's pretty amazing.Hence the title of this post, which happens to be a play on words: Eugene, You-gene...
Please ignore the unfortunate shadows on the wall that make both of us look like coneheads. Really, the only one who looks good in this picture is the baby.
And that's another interesting thing about this picture. This is probably the only time in my life, and I know this is very hard to believe, but, it's probably the only time I was ever in such proximity to a baby, and allowed to hold one. Seriously. I'm thinking back. There was one other instance, that I can't really live down, when, at age 11, I held my neighbor's baby daughter, then laid her on the couch and walked away. Guess what happened...
When my best friend from college had her son, I was too traumatized by watching her breast feed the 8 day old animal to be excited or touched by the whole thing.
Memories of my stint in pediatrics are overshadowed by the horror and daunting task of getting a toddler to open his or her mouth or trying to get into their ear. I don't even remember babies in pediatrics, and I know there must have been at least a couple...
Fore real, I think that's it. That's the extent of my exposure to babies.
Maybe this is why I've been afraid of them and never warmed up to any.
In my defense, when I was on my OB/Gyn rotation, we used to be present at deliveries. Sometimes we'd watch, other times we'd catch the slippery product and hand it to the nurse. They make you wear an OR gown, gloves, hat, and a mask with eye protection. And, yes, I don't like or trust babies, but without fail, when this strange alien-like thing slithers out all deformed, not yet alive, and then within seconds morphs into an actual honest human baby, and cries - my god! - when that happens, without fail, my mask would fog up.
That's gotta be proof that I'm not dead inside.
Comments