Away from work for a day

By the end of last week, my brains resembled a wild safari mating ball. "Clearing your mind," "Letting it go..." these are things that are much easier said than done.

Unless, of course, you have another reason to brood and ferment bad moods into evil humors. Have I mentioned, this is cycle day #6? I have a cute little blisterpack of Clomid in the kitchen, right next to the oranges, and I have a syringeful of Ovadrel marinating in the fridge. Every once in a while, I'll admonish the hubby to put his ear to my belly in an effort to investigate the possibility of any evil cysts forming, and if so, shoo them away.

To get my womb in the spirit of things, I attended my very first ever baby shower. (That it's my first ever is pretty unbelievable, considering the crowd of people I know who have made the pilgrimage to the delivery room in the last 2-3 years. Either my friends and acquaintances don't do showers, or, I have no friends... or acquaintances...)

Well - I didn't attend with the purpose of wooing the womb, I attended to show my love and support for DC and her incoming parcel package. But why not combine business with pleasure: support D, and give the uterus a peptalk. Plus, all that estrogen - maybe, it'll soak in by osmosis, and objectively increase my fertility by several percent, which in my line of work, is a lot.

I found out some amazing things from women who are old hands at this whole reproduction business. Apparently, if you stop pumping cold turkey, your breasts will become distended hard medicine balls that you will have to handle with care, and carry around on a tray.

Also, and this is frightening, childbirth is SO bad, that our bodies are actually chemically wired to forget how bad it is; otherwise, no woman in her right mind would have more than one child. Kind of like, I'm not falling for that one again! So, it's not that it's all totally worth it, (like medical school and residency), it's that nature is once again legitimately fucking with our heads.

I was still weakly hoping that childbirth was, you know. A pleasurable pain. Like a good bowel movement. Okay, I'm sorry, that was horrible. I'm quoting someone, though.

Anyway. You live, you learn!

Good luck to DC, whose learning curve is about to become steeper than mount Everest!

Comments

Deepa said…
haha - Leslie has been givign me pep talks too! She is my "go to" girl when it comes to all the horrble pregnancy stuff. The fun stuff is awesome, the not so fun stuff is REALLY not so fun.

I'll keep you posted on my own experiences... should be interesting...

Popular posts from this blog

Little girls grow up

Belated outrage