This little piggie went home...
In the tradition of my people, I raise my eyes up to the heavens, shake my fists, and cry, with pain and despair: "Why me! Why me!"
BecauseI’m a pussy who doesn’t think before she acts I am a conscientious person and a physician with a sense of responsibility to the community, I decided on a whim to go get swabbed for H1N1, popularly known as the swine flu. Someone suggested it, it wasn't even my idea! But look: I went to the Carribean; I started feeling sick 5 days ago, I have a scratchy throat, stuffed nose, cough, and a headache that feels like my right eye is about to get blown out. Plus, I'm fatigued, but I'm always fatigued.
Before I know it, I was wearing a mask, and getting a q tip inserted farther than I'd like to admit, and the employee health nurse was informing me in a compassionate voice that I cannot return to work today, and what's more, I cannot return to work until I am symptom free for 24 hours.
Let me set the backdrop: there is a huge GI meeting in Chicago, and the department is a skeleton version of itself. Basically, there is no one to cover mypansy ass sick ass whilst I while away the rest of my day on the couch chugging children's tylenol.
She calls the department head and explains the situation without mincing words.
When I see the department head, oh my GOD, if looks could kill. And when I apologized, all he said was, "I guess it's done."
( I should add that the attending I was working with that week had recently suffered a bicycle accident, which resulted in a broken clavicle, several broken ribs, and a small pneumothorax. He was working.)
Those of you who know me, know what that would do to my already shaky anxious insides. And it did it. I was awash with guilt, and anxiety about how now they hate me for sure, and I'm nothing but trouble for them this year. Then, I got to thinking, and you know what... this happens to me a LOT. (that's the WHY ME) Let's take a tally, shall we:

Oh my gad! I am either jinxed or a frank slacker!
I go with #1. WHY ME!! WHY ME!!
Because
Before I know it, I was wearing a mask, and getting a q tip inserted farther than I'd like to admit, and the employee health nurse was informing me in a compassionate voice that I cannot return to work today, and what's more, I cannot return to work until I am symptom free for 24 hours.
Let me set the backdrop: there is a huge GI meeting in Chicago, and the department is a skeleton version of itself. Basically, there is no one to cover my
She calls the department head and explains the situation without mincing words.
When I see the department head, oh my GOD, if looks could kill. And when I apologized, all he said was, "I guess it's done."
( I should add that the attending I was working with that week had recently suffered a bicycle accident, which resulted in a broken clavicle, several broken ribs, and a small pneumothorax. He was working.)
Those of you who know me, know what that would do to my already shaky anxious insides. And it did it. I was awash with guilt, and anxiety about how now they hate me for sure, and I'm nothing but trouble for them this year. Then, I got to thinking, and you know what... this happens to me a LOT. (that's the WHY ME) Let's take a tally, shall we:

Oh my gad! I am either jinxed or a frank slacker!
I go with #1. WHY ME!! WHY ME!!
Comments