C'mere, gimme a quiche
The recipe - well, there was no recipe, really. Just a memory of the quiche I ate at the BCAE, vague idea of what goes into a quiche, some time, and some ingredients I thought might mesh well.
So without further ado, I present:
No-recipe quiche with stuff that meshes well
3-4 eggs
milk or cream or combo, about 1.5-1.75 cups
pinch of grated nutmeg
pinch of salt
ground pepper
2 thinly sliced onions
a little butter
a little oil
a few splashes white wine
diced thickly sliced bacon
(that's a mouthful. It was Thickly Sliced Bacon, that I subsequently diced. Everything is better with a little bacon)
Grated Gruyere, about a cup
feel free to show off and make your own crust, but I got the premade pie crust at Stop and Shop, it said "for quiche" on package
1) Do the onions first, they take the longest: melt some butter, and the oil in a heavy pan. Onions in, high heat, with a pinch of salt. Sautee stirring for about 15 mins. Lower the heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally for maybe 40 mins, until caramelly and brown. If they start sticking, add a splash of white wine to deglaze. (adds flavor, keeps from burning, helps brown. all in all a GOOD idea)
2) Whilst the onions are cooking... heat up another pan, and throw in the bacon, no additional fat. Render until just starting to get crispy. Discard the fat. Drain on plate with paper towels.
3) Into 3-4 eggs, whisk your milk/cream. Add seasoning.
4) Preheat oven to 375. Onto the thawed crust, lay the bacon pieces first. Then the onions. Then the gruyere. Then the egg mixture - watch out for spillage. Then bake for 35-40 minutes. You might want to place on a baking sheet. That darn spillage.
5) While the baking is happening, throw together a tart salad. Mine had avocado and shallots, and a vinaigrette with zing.
THEN ENJOY!
(I had a little extra egg stuff, so I baked it as a little fritatta in that LeCreuset ramekin. Pour quoi pas, I say.)
The guests tonight included myself, my husband, my friend, and another furry white visitor at the head of the table. You can see him in the picture.
Impromptu dinner guest.
Friend "helping me cook." Or... Nature Morte with Messy kitchen. ( can you have a nature morte with a person in it? No I guess not... that makes it a portrait...)
Comments