The whole emapanada
The events were such:
1) We went to Taberna de Haro and had empanada there, and I thought, this right here? Should be ridiculously easy to make at home.
2) We went to B&G oysters and both thought, we don't eat enough fish.
3) As a result of #2, we went to Wulf's fish market, and purchased mucho fish, including chunks of fresh tuna and swordfish, supposedly for a homemae paella (that would be all him!), or maybe Marmitako (about that, would be another post), neither of which we got to over the weekend.
4) I bought puff pastry for some reason, and it was starting to atrophy from disuse.
Time zero: I decide to make an emapanada.
I have no idea how this is done, and I don't feel like researching recipes. My MIL and husband both are full of tips, but neither are around to help me make it. And, of course, I'll be feeding the empanada to a real Spaniard, so the stakes are high.
SO going entirely from what my tastebuds picked up at Taberna, and my limited experience with seasonings, this is what I end up throwing together.
Fake Empanada
1 red pepper
1 large or 2 small onions
1 clove garlic, minced
1 can diced tomatoes
a little white wine
tuna - canned is usually used, I used the fresh fish chunks I had and didn't want to waste
Olive Oil
S&P
Oregano
a few tablespoons sugar
1 egg for egg wash
2 sheets of puff pastry
Finely chop onions and peppers. Heat oil and throw onions into the hot oil. Cook until translucent. Add red peppers, cook 1 min more, until mixutre soft. Add 1 clove garlic. Add fish (if it's fresh, I'd chop it into little pieces and add it raw. I pre-cooked it, and it dried it out) Mix, and cook a few mins more. Season. Add white wine and reduce. Add tomatoes, and a few spoonfuls sugar to set off the acidity. Allow the juices to cook off a little. Take off heat, cool.
Preheat oven to 375. Put a pastry sheet onto a buttered surface. (I'd actually recommend rolling the "pre-rolled" sheets even thinner to ensure flakiness and lightness) With slotted spoon add filling, leave some edges. Brush edges with eggwash. Cover with the other sheet, and mush the edges with fork. Brush top with egg wash for glaze, and poke some holes in the top. Bake 30 mins. DONE!
Let rest for at least 10 mins or you'll burn the crap out of your tongue. Take it from my experience.
By no means am I saying this is a real empanada. But I got the second compliment from Husband this week: "Berry good. Deli-sious." Therefore, sucess.
href="https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhwFrvwuDR6WC3bnOu7Gxyp4P89cKnSqtTPotjGxJ_bXCI1u4i1oIsXJs4A4OmT9bM4rdeWLei3db_MD3QHHkS9W9NEKCzb_5mAu8H5xS6WD3jM_6ESwD_5CCQDv8cQKxNdOHrxOxKSaIGt/s1600-h/P1010239.JPG">
"Can joo estop it with the flash? Joo are driving me crasy!"
Comments
Anyway. What I wanted to say is: YUM! If you had a dinner party and invited Yelpers, they/we would give you 5 stars!